Mental Health: Let's Talk About It More

Hey everyone! Welcome back to another blog. Today I'm going to talk about a really important topic that needs way more awareness than it gets. I think we all are aware of who Simone Biles is. For those who don't know, she is one of the most successful gymnasts in the entire world. So during the recent Olympics, she had to opt-out of the Group Finals in her sport due to mental health problems. She was fearful that she'd cost her team a medal, and so she backed out like she should have because she wasn't in the right mind to perform, she just had too much pressure on her back. Honestly, she got more hate than she got support. Many people just said that she was a 'weak' person for backing out. The thing is, that mental health is as important as physical health. I know we say that this issue has been getting more and more attention, but hearing about this incident, I'm honestly back to square one with my perspective on things changing. I think the importance of

Respect's Supposed To Be Earned :)

Well, hello y'all!! I know, I know. It's been ages since I last posted, and to all those consistently reading my blogs, I'm sorry lol. I had kind of a writer's block and my exams and stuff were going on. 

So I guess every one of us must have heard people say, "They are elder to you, respect them." And yes, this sentence makes somewhat of sense. I get what they mean. If someone's elder to us, we should talk to them politely and behave in a good manner. But respect. What does respect exactly mean!?

So putting it into my own words, respect is a certain admiration towards someone. Makes sense. But wait! There's more to the definition! Here's the interesting part. Respect is the deep admiration that is given according to their abilities.

By ability here, I don't just mean that I'm going to be only respecting Messi because he plays soccer exceptionally well, or just Virat Kohli because he plays cricket well.

By abilities, I also want to emphasize the qualities one has. How they behave with others, and how they deal with problems. You just KNOW when someone deserves your respect. It's this transparency that shows in the person's personality. How do you figure out that transparency? Well, observe how they treat others.

It just shows through a person if they deserve that admiration. If someone is kind to everyone around, doesn't behave like they're ORDERING people to do something, they deserve that respect. Well if this doesn't make sense, let me quote an example.

Well, let's take a person 'A'. Then, let's take another person as 'B'. 'B' is the politest person you'll come across and always treats everyone with the utmost respect. And what about 'A'? Oh dear, 'A' is rude. Even though everyone eventually treated 'A' with respect, he never reciprocated it to anyone. 

Obviously now, in this case, everyone, including 'B', would lose respect for 'A' somewhere along the line. But can you blame them? 'A' never deserved respect in the first place. 

The fact that you'd just respect people like 'A', for the sake of the fact that they are older, doesn't make sense. I mean obviously, you'd talk in a good manner and behave well... but respect, I don't know. I mean, on what basis would you even respect people like 'A'? 

Honestly, the fact that people encourage everyone to RESPECT people just because they are older doesn't make sense to me. Respect's supposed to be earned.

This not only goes for elders but for people younger than you too. I mean, why not? If a kid respects you, why won't you respect him for his ability to be kind and respectful?

So well, the fact that respect SHOULD be given to elder people doesn't make sense. Respect should be earned. Earned through the fact that the person respects others. Through the fact that the person's kind and caring. Through the fact that the person doesn't shout unnecessarily at people for petty things.

I guess when we are instructed to "respect" someone, the word respect is often misused for being courteous. Sure, courtesy should be shown, but respect is a complete different thing. Something which needs to be earned.

Look at it this way: When you are courteous to someone, it shows YOUR kindness. And when you are respectful to others, it shows the other person's DESERVINGNESS.

Again, earn respect yourself.  And only respect others if they are worth it. It makes life a lot easy, trust me.

Signing off! Bye!

[I have a Wattpad account too, if you want check out my work there! @thenextsherlockx16]

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uke and Me :)

A Dream Come True ✨

Mental Health: Let's Talk About It More